Sunday, November 24, 2013

A Deal Has Been Made

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/11/23/john-kerry-iran-nuclear-talks/3685425/

     This article by USA today announces that a deal has been made with Iran. Iran agreed to limitations on their nuclear power program in return for $7 billion in aid in order to help them recover from the effects of the sanctions that have been placed on them. Not only has this deal been made, but if Iran goes against the agreement the sanctions will be reinstated. It is only the first step in the process, but I feel that it was a good step. In a way, everyone gets what they want. The United States has new security in knowing that the nuclear plan is a peaceful one and that they can cancel the deal if Iran does not comply. Iran gets to continue with their nuclear energy research, at a more limited level of course, and gets economic help for their nation. The United States' allies, are relieved because they feel safer knowing that no nuclear weapons will be headed their way via Iran. This deal is a way to calm some very stressful situations in the Middle East as well as soothe worries in the countries in the west. I find it interesting though that Israel is not as content with this decision as other allies of the United States are. Most of what they wanted was achieved, but they still feel unsafe and threatened. They want nothing to do with the deal. I think Iran should have access to nuclear energy if that is the energy source they choose to utilize as long as the world is safe from nuclear weapons. It seems that Israel wants Iran to have nothing to do with nuclear power, which is understandable beings they are neighbors, but there has to be a middle ground to please everyone. I believe this first step is a step in the right direction because the United States and other world powers can now monitor the situation more closely and make the world safer.

4 comments:

  1. After reading this article, my first thought is perhaps it is only a temporary fix to the tensions between the United States. Two countries reaching agreements compared to two countries going to war over an issue is always a preferred route in my opinion. However, I don't think the deal is the best one. I personally don't believe the United States should give any financial aid to Iran, or any country. I feel like it causes a tradition of reliance on U.S. money and doesn't always have the trickle down effect desired by policy makers. As for Iran's nuclear programs, I don't think any country except for Iran has the right to decide what research they do. Weapons or just energy, Iran is an independent nation and shouldn't succumb to the rules other countries want it to follow, as long as no one is getting hurt. The United States has a large arsenal of nuclear weapons, and is the only nation to actually use the bomb. I truly feel that Iran has no intention of using this bomb on Israel or any other country. They know very well that a nuclear attack on any nation would result in the much more massive nuclear arsenal of the United States. A smaller level example is I wouldn't want someone coming into my own house and telling me I can't make a milkshake because it's not healthy. As for the sanctions, I think this hurts the people more than the policy makers. People from both the U.S. and Iran would most likely only benefit from sanctions being lifted. Again, these are only my opinions and educated guesses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you on this issue. After reading your posts I can't help but think that Iran is actually benefiting more than anyone else from this deal. Iran now gets $ 7 billion and some sanctions lifted. In return all they have to do is limit their nuclear power program which they said they were doing already anyway and not bomb anyone which I don't think they were going to do right now either. I just feel like Iran is making out the best on this deal. Also, I do not believe that this deal is going to last very long. However, I do think that striking a deal is what needed to be done for the moment and when this does not work out they will have to try to work out something else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everyone. I believe that Iran does not plan to use its nuclear power program to make bombs to bomb us. This would only cause a war which I don't think they want. I also don't think that we shouldnt be giving them any financial aid! The US is in debt as it is and our debt only keeps growing. We need to work on ourselves before we start giving away $7 billion dollars to other countries. In Moira's previous video it stated that the Iran allowed the IAEA to go in and expect all of its buildings freely for a certain amount of time. I believe that Iran should allow the IAEA to do that again, they shouldn't mind if they have nothing to hide. I agree with Andrew that Iran is a independent country and they and only they should have a say in the use of their program, as long as it isn't hurting anyone. Overall I am glad that we have made a deal with Iran, but I feel like there are some things that need to be changed about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the small step is a good step. In a similar article I posted from BBC news, there was however a lot of skepticism on their behalf. Some argue that in six months time when the agreed upon scale back of uranium enrichment is up, nothing will have been achieved. Conservative Sir Edward Leigh argued that Iran is allowed to continue enriching lower grade uranium, but still received the $7 billion dollars. The argument I guess that arises is, should Iran be paid for simply scaling back their enrichment, and not totally halting it? Again, I do agree that this is a step in the right direction, but others simply feel as though not much has been achieved.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25092228

    ReplyDelete